Our internal medicine specialists diagnose and treat a wide variety of conditions, including: stomach complaints, breathing problems, joint pain, swellings and diffuse symptoms, such as tiredness and feeling off-colour. You do not need a referral from your doctor.
An internal medicine specialist has advanced training in the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the majority of internal organs. Common complaints for which people consult an internal medicine specialist include:
- Stomach complaints
- Breathing problems
- Generally elevated temperature (diffuse fever)
- Jaundice (icterus)
- Joint pain
- High blood pressure
- Swelling (oedema)
- Diffuse symptoms, such as tiredness, feeling off-colour, etc.
- Examination and assessment of risk factors relating to stroke and cardiovascular disease.
A complete internal medical assessment includes
- A physical examination
- Blood pressure measurement
- Relevant tests on blood, urine and faecal samples
- Internal medicine specialists also perform carotid ultrasound scans